Taylor County Communities of Florida

Bringing the residents and friends of Taylor County Florida together.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Now you can quickly find local resource links on the TCCFL Forum

Share | 

Computer Tips and tricks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Teresa SCH

PostSubject: Computer Tips and tricks   Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm

While I know quite a bit about computers, I train people on computers while my husband gets to fix people's computers. I teach, he fixes - what a pair.

Many people say computers are a pain in the neck. My only response is they are only as good as their design and their users.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Tech Savvy section of the forum can be used to help others become more knowledgeable about computers, (and other technical media, like IPads, mobile phones, etc), and we can all learn some tips and shortcuts along the way.
I know something, you know something - we're all in this together, right?

So here is my first tip which relates to searching in computer documents and on-line pages for something specific:
If you have a word document displayed on your computer screen (or have a web site page displayed) and you are looking for let's say something related to pumpkins, using your keyboard press the Ctrl key and the letter F at the same time.
A little bar or dialog window will open near the top of your page or screen. Type in the word Pumpkin then press enter or click on the Find Next button. The computer will search the document or page for you and point you to where the word is located. If the word is not found, a message will display saying the word was not found.

This can be useful when searching through Word or PDF documents that are hundreds of pages long (like the manuals we have at work). I will add this, when using this technique on a web page, this kind of search is relevant to that page which is displayed. If the web site has multiple pages, you'll have to repeat the process for each page. Most web sites have a built in search tool, but some like BLOGS may not.

Hope that help!

Back to top Go down

Computer Tips and tricks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1